E-Mail Page | Print Page
General Rules Governing Graduation
- Candidates who plan to complete requirements for graduation in December must file formal application with the CSC Records Office by April 15. Those who plan to graduate in May must file by November 15. The application deadline for summer graduation is June 1.
- If, because of certain specific academic programs, it appears the student can qualify for more than one degree with the associated major, the student must determine for which degree he/she will apply.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.0 must be maintained for the Bachelor of Arts Degree, Bachelor of Science Degree and the Bachelor of Applied Science Degree. A 2.5 GPA or above, must be maintained for the Bachelor of Science in Education Degree programs.
- The candidate for a degree in professional education must complete the minimum credit and grade point requirements and all subject requirements for the degree sought, including the required hours of professional work in education.
- No more than 66 credit hours may be transferred or applied towards a baccalaureate degree from one or more two (2) year institutions.
- A minimum of 120 semester hours must be earned, of which 40 hours must be in 300 or 400 (junior or senior) level courses to meet the requirements for all Bachelor degrees.
- A minimum resident attendance of thirty-six weeks and completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit Chadron State College is required. Students pursuing a baccalaureate degree may obtain resident credit from off-campus courses taught by Chadron State College.
- Twenty-four of the last thirty semester hours of credit must be from Chadron State College. No more than 12 of the last 30 hours applied toward residency may be Directed Independent Study courses.
- As part of the graduation process, exit assessments may be required in some academic programs. Dates and times of these assessments will be scheduled and taken throughout the candidate’s final year at Chadron State College. Please see the appropriate academic department for information.
- Candidates must have completed or be enrolled in all courses required for the degree prior to application for graduation. Any coursework required for the degree that is incomplete or in progress from a previous term must be completed and graded thirty (30) days prior to commencement. All Directed Independent Study coursework must be completed and graded thirty (30) days prior to commencement.
- Students may not claim the right to graduate under the provision of a General Bulletin issued more than five years prior to the end of the semester in which they expect to complete their work, unless they have been in military service or earned college credit in residence at Chadron during each calendar year since beginning the program of study. Students are required to use a General Bulletin of the year they enrolled or later.
- Candidates for degrees are required to take part in the formal exercises of commencement unless prior notification is given to the CSC Records Office.
- Candidates for degrees are required to wear the academic cap and gown at the commencement exercise. All commencement regalia is ordered through the Eagle Pride Bookstore.
- To be eligible for honors, students must have completed forty-five semester hours of residency prior to their final semester and be earning their first Bachelor’s degree. Those attaining high grade point averages will be cited as follows:
3.90 - 4.00 summa cum laude
3.75 - 3.89 magna cum laude
3.60 - 3.74 cum laude