Behavior Intervention Team

Knowing When to Refer a Student for Professional Help

When students express personal concerns, faculty and staff can provide help through empathic listening, facilitating open discussion of problems, instilling hope, conveying acceptance, and offering basic advice. Often times, this type of help is adequate. In other cases, however, students need professional help to overcome problems and to resume effective coping.

Signs that indicate that a student may need counseling:

A Note on Confidentiality

CSC Counseling Services are required by law and by professional ethics to protect the confidentiality of all communication between counselors and clients (except in cases where harm to self or harm to others is involved).

Consequently, a counselor cannot discuss the details of a student’s situation with others or even indicate whether the student is, in fact, in counseling, without having written permission from the student. Ideally, the student would share important information with you directly based on your need and your relationship.

How to Refer

CSC Contact Numbers

Health Services Office: 308-432-6232
Counselor Office: 308-432-6268
Counselor Cell: 308-430-4593
Nurse Office: 308-432-6022
Nurse Cell: 308-430-4906
TRiO Counselor Office: 308-432-6242
TRiO Counselor Cell: 308-430-2411
Student Affairs: 308-432-6231
Student Affairs Cell: 308-430-1243