The High Plains Herbarium at Chadron State College contains approximately 60,000 specimens of plants primarily from the northern Great Plains, with particular emphasis on the northern Nebraska Panhandle, southwestern South Dakota, and the Nebraska Sandhills. It was established as a teaching collection by Doris Gates in the 1960s, and grew from a total of 2,400 specimens in 1972, to its current size due to the efforts of the late Dr. Ron Weedon. Over the years, it has grown from a small teaching collection to a large research collection for a college the size of Chadron State, and one of the largest such collections in the northern Plains.
In addition to the herbarium proper, Dr. Weedon was instrumental in amassing a number of accessory collections documenting the role of plants in the lives of the inhabitants of this region.
Copyright © Chadron State College. All Rights Reserved.
Member, Nebraska State College System • Employment Opportunities • Equal Opportunity Employer • Title IX Reporting/Resources
Accreditation Information • Website Feedback
1000 Main Street, Chadron, NE 69337 • 1-800-CHADRON