Chadron State College
Chadron State College

Frequently Asked Questions

Are VA Education Benefits Taxable?

No. Any veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

Can I be eligible for two or more education benefits?

Yes, you may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit program. However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs you qualify for.

How do I verify my enrollment?

If you're receiving the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty, MGIB - Selected Reserve GI Bill or REAP, use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify your attendance.

Can I transfer benefits to my dependents?

If you were a member of the Armed Forces on or after August 1, 2009, and eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children. Commissioned officers of the Public Health Service (PHS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are eligible for the transferability option effective August 1, 2011.

While in the Armed Forces, transferors use the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) website to designate, modify, and revoke a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) request. After leaving the Armed Forces, transferors may provide a future effective date for use of TOE, modify the number of months transferred, or revoke entitlement transferred by submitting a written request to VA.

NOTE: After separating from the Armed Forces individuals cannot designate new dependents to receive transferred entitlement or amend the effective date of the initial transfer of entitlement to an earlier date.

My enrollment period isn't appearing in WAVE

If your WAVE record does not reflect your current enrollment status, it is most likely because the VA has not yet processed your current enrollment. VA is often overwhelmed with enrollments at the start of each semester and it takes the VA several weeks to process everyone's enrollments and changes.

How do I apply for VA benefits?

You can apply online using the VA's VONAPP program. Be sure to contact the VA at 888-GIBILL-1. There are several things to consider before submitting the form.

Am I eligible?

The Department of Veterans Affairs is the only resource that can answer your personal and specific GI Bill entitlement questions. Call 1-888-GIBILL-1.

When will I receive payment - or - BAH (Chapter 33 only) from the VA?

The VA will send your benefits to you after receipt of your enrollment certification and your eligibility has been established. Tuition and fees for all courses must be paid at the time of registration (Except for Chapter 33). If you are eligible for educational benefits, the Veterans Administration (VA) will mail a check to you after the semester has begun.

What if I need to Drop or Withdraw from a course?

If you drop or withdraw from courses, you must notify the Coordinator of Veterans Services and your advisor/START Office. The law prohibits payment of veterans’ benefits for a course from which a student withdraws.

PLEASE NOTE: For students using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, withdrawing from a course could cause a recoupment of your housing allowance (BAH).

I am eligible for a federal Pell Grant. How does this affect my VA benefits?

Pell Grants are not affected by GI Bill benefits, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If you are a Pell Grant recipient, the GI Bill benefits you receive will not count against your aid eligibility. In general, students will be able to keep their Pell grants even if they are receiving GI Bill benefits.